Saturday 16 March 2013

Heart Speaks





Nova College is an international school in Amsterdam with students from China, Bulgaria, Turkey, Morocco, Pakistan, Ghana and Santo Domingo.

On Valentine's Day these students went to the dialysis department of Lucas Ziekenhuis (Hospital).

Another group of students which included students from India, Somalia, and Egypt went into another ward.  They were there to share Fairtrade roses along with poems on love or peace they had written.

Luis wrote:   

A hospital can give you a bad feeling 
Not being able to be outside and have a good time with your family 
But you should never lose hope - it forces you to stick to your closest who will always support you
Know that your family loves you
Enjoy this beautiful day.




"I'm happy when I make other people happy."

"We read poems in different languages because there were people from different countries and we gave them the roses. The people were very happy with our visit and listened carefully."

"These people have sick kidneys and through a machine their blood is cleaned.  I wanted to cry when I saw so many lying in their beds -  I gave them roses"

"We gave roses also to the nurses as we could see them working hard."

"The people spoke about their illnesses. I stood at their bedside talking to them."

"In Somalia people know Valentine's Day well and give chocolate to persons they are in love with.  
I read a poem I had written in English for a woman from Somalia and she began to cry. I almost had to cry too. My heart was broken. I wished her well in our Somalian language."

"I read a poem in Chinese to a sick man. He was so happy and I was happy that I could do this."

*

No comments:

Post a Comment